What It Does:
- 1. Legal Defense. Helps support the legal defense of victims of sexual assault and rape.
- 2. Women’s Groups. Supports the creation and funding of advocacy groups for sexual assault.
- 3. Supports Shelters. Funds and supports shelters for victims of violence and domestic abuse.
- 4. Toughens Charges. Works to toughen the charges and punishments on perpetrators of sexual violence.
Why We Need It:
- 1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted.
- A women is sexually assaulted or raped every 98 seconds.
- Out of 1000 sexual assaults or rapes, only 6 men will ever spend a day behind bars.
- Out of 1000 rapes, 994 perpetrators will walk free.
The Violence Against Women Act is set to expire in DECEMBER 2018! It has been instrumental in reducing the violent acts against women by half in just 20 years.
Urge these women to keep working to pass a bigger, better violence against women act when Congress returns.
We believe in fighting for the women who fight for us. We break down our fight into four major categories. We firmly believe that equality isn’t a partisan issue.
- Violence – It’s time to support the women dedicated to ending the violence against women. A culture of sexual violence must be a thing of the past.
- Equality – Equality isn’t a partisan issue. It’s time to take it back from the political parties and put our energy behind people, not politics.
- Career & Family – Workplaces should reflect the needs and desires of the modern workforce. Women must be supported as we become mothers. It’s time to put a stop to the inequities that stem from child rearing.
- Workplace – The workplace can’t be home to discrimination. We fight to ensure that the lip service of equality becomes action.